Saturday, November 13, 2010

Art&Music

The Art:
I went to kent school of art yesterday thinking it was miss Bakers BFA exhibition opening.  I was mistaken but fortunately she was setting up the installation and so I stopped in to chat with her about it...basically it's great and i cant wait until it's actually her opening next week.

Since I was there already I checked the other galleries and found Andrew Simmons' MFA ceramics candidacy review show.  Anna, you would have flipped for his work...two headed animal ceramic sculptures, including an elephant, birds, unicorns...some gestural ceramic pieces with religious subject matter that were lovely...and small altered book page "drawings" that had impeccable craftsmanship and great detail work. He doesn't have a website that I can find but I will keep looking.

The Music:
This week I got two CDs one new (Kid Cudi: Man on the Moon 2) and one new to me (Mumford & Sons: Sigh No More, 2009).  While they are totally different I love them both, a lot. They each make me feel exactly how I want to feel.

Mumford & Sons: The lyrics are thoughtful and private.  The music itself is generally happy but relaxed. I feel like I am hearing someone talk about me specifically and find comfort in the fact that he absolutely is NOT talking about me and that his topics are universal. Here is the video for "Little Lion Man. I love it.

Kid CuDi: Really really great. I'm pretty sure he was completely stoned during the writing, producing recording, the everything for this album.  And guess what? When I listen to it I feel so relaxed and chilled out that I may as well be too. I think it's rare for a hip hop album to have a soothing effect but that's exactly what happens to me.  I feel like I'm laying on a soft mattress and being completely swallowed by that biggest comforter in the world. Exactly what I need. Here's one that hit the radio already Erase me...definitely not the best song on the CD but it's pritty pritty close.

Alright enough of this, I'm terrible at "reviewing"  but you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment