Friday, February 11, 2011

Brain Bumper Cars

The last few days have been completely devoted to (trying to) developing a visual representation of my sense of place for a piece for a group show.  It's amazing how difficult this is turning out to be. I know what ideas and feelings I associate with home.  The problem (maybe?) is that a lot of my work is figural and internalized. So, when I'm sitting here thinking about mapping...the show is focused on 'maps as art'...and how it relates to what I normally do I'm coming up with junk.  Just topical junk that is strictly aesthetic. Frankly, I can't relate to it.  If I can't relate to my own piece then no one will be able to.  The few OK ideas I've come up with border on too personal.  I know it's supposed to be my personal take on our connection and understanding of place but the key word is OUR.  But, I am just one person, I have no idea how other NEO residents connect to their home. Maybe they're not connecting at all? Maybe Akron or Cleveland is just a stop on the way to something better.  I can't relate to that idea. But, I know that that's how some people view NEO. Soooo, forget them! They don't count in my thought process.  One obstacle conquered.  Or perhaps they are too connected. Not thinking outside the box. Accepting the life they have as unchanging.  Your location can only give to you what you put into it.  Nothing more. You can have all the resources in the world at your disposal (ala New York City) and still squash opportunities with a bad attitude. Soooo, forget them too! I'm going off on a tangent. I wonder why I've accomplished nothing? 

Clearly, my brain ideas have become brain bumper cars...they keep slamming into each other trying to do some damage and the next thing you know they're all clustered in the middle and you can't figure out how that weird padded steering wheel works.  Normally, I'm the asshole who just cruises around the perimeter...hair blowing in the wind.

I mean seriously, look at this flowchart:
Nice attempt, Ronald.
 Here's to a more productive Saturday!

Love,
Roni!

No comments:

Post a Comment