Monday, April 25, 2011

Served

When it comes to art I have always been on the fence about performance and political themed art.  I am sure it is because I generally don't use art to make a statement or enact change. Art doesn't function in this way in my everyday life. However, I do appreciate it and sometimes wish I was brave enough to throw caution to the wind and stand for something bigger than recycling. If I ever become an activist you better believe my protests will be productions, this I promise you.

Below is a still from an unsanctioned performance piece that happened at the Tate London on the one year anniversary of the BP oil spill.  Aside from the indoor piece I've linked to below, the group also set up pieces outside the front of the museum. Although my initial reaction to the big mess the group made was "uhhh maybe less is more, people" I thought about it and decided that this time it was just right. BP, no matter if you place blame on them or the company that built the rig, was the main culprit of the worst environmental disaster in US history and if the Tate wants to take their money and put the BP symbol all over they should have expected backlash from the artistic community.  I mean...almost everyone, myself included, I know has tried not to buy from BP in the past year in silent protest. (Spare me the "but they're locally owned" argument...I've always been a Speedway girl)

So, what I'm trying to get at is that in this case, performance and political art have combined to make something that I have decided is pretty great. If nothing else, the piece performed inside the museum is simple, beautiful, and the artist's are braver than I. Good work.

"Human Cost" Click for an article and video of the piece.

Who wants to get brave with me and put on a show?

Anyone? Anyone? Alllright fiiiiiiine!

Roni!

4 comments:

  1. I'm down. If you're serious, I am too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am serious, but idea-less. I'll start thinking if you will wooo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then there is the Chinese artist who is in jail because he made "art" with all the names of the school children who died in the quake. Can't separate art from life, because if you do, as Delacroix said, "art without life is like painting a screen shielding a dead person."

    And I don't know how to post, so I'm coming in as Anonymous...Amy Buller

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're absolutely right, I've seen some pretty terrible and pointless performance and political work and it was starting to make me bias against it. Thanks for bringing another good artist to my attention. I'm trying to find more information on the actual list Ai Weiwei (this is who you're referring too, right?) has compiled but it's pretty buried. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete