Friday, April 01, 2011

"Umm y'all? She is not okaaaaayyyy"

CHARLESTON!
It's cute, super cute and quaint with lots of colorful buildings and warm breezes.  It is so breezy, in fact, that I ended up chasing my straw sun hat down the road until a kind stranger finally stopped it for me. Thanks! Anywho, I went down with my old college roommate Sophie and her friend Abby because they are thinking of moving there. PARTY BONUS, my other college roommate Kaitlyn already lives there with two lovely ladies. So, it was a girl's trip. In fact, it was my first ever girl's only trip...at the ripe age of 24...  Since Kait and her roomies had to work and Soph was apartment searching I spent most of Thursday and Friday exploring the city by foot, stopping in cute shops, took a nap in the park, found a pier and sketched, ate foods nom nom nom!

Many miles, sore feet, and two hat wranglings later I wandered into Robert Lange Studios. At this point I had already checked out many galleries and was largely unimpressed by the typical, sellable, tourist aimed art. But, I had high expectations for the gallery that had won "Best of Charleston" for a few years. Thankfully, my expectations were met and exceeded. First, the owner Robert Lange is like 30 and according to his bio some kind of math genius.  So, yah there's that.  Second, I liked almost every artist that was displayed. SO RARE. If I remember correctly, I saw eight artists that day.  The first lady I want to talk about is Ali Cavanaugh.  She was my favorite because her work is a similar medium to what I used for my senior BFA exhibition, watercolor on clay board.  Cavanaugh, however, is much better at it that I am. She has clearly honed her craft.  I suppose that's what focus will get you, too bad I am crazy-brained!  She has her own website but I'm linking to Lange's site because it's actually better. Plus, you can peruse some of the other artists. Durfee, Collins, and Lind are all worth a quick peek.  I may elaborate on them in the future.

"Segment of a past revelation"- Cavanaugh


The moral of the story is this. Robert Lange may be some prodigy child but, I want to start a gallery. I'm smart enough (at least I am on weekdays).  I did just buy a book on how to start a gallery, after all. Maybe I should stop reading Harry Potter and try to learn something. Because, let's be honest, no matter how many spatula wands I practice with I will never master wingardium leviosa.  But, I could maybe possibly sort of start a gallery.

I think I'll wait until after I finish HP.

Yah. That's the best idea.

Kay bye!  Roni!

P.S. ANNA-  Look at Jen Lisa's blog, she posted some boss doodles. Sometimes I want to live in her brain. kayloveyoubye!

2 comments:

  1. dear roni,
    i miss you.
    you make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Maybe I should stop reading Harry Potter and try to learn something."

    Terrible idea.

    ReplyDelete