Sunday, July 10, 2011

Oh, hi Esophagus!

First, saw The Room last night at a late night showing. Suuuper fun.

Second, I don't like using this art blog to complain about bad art, or rather art that I think is bad. I'd like to bring people up to speed on things that are lovely and inspiring.  But, I'm going to make an exception for Millie Brown.  Besides, it's important to know what is going on in the art world...the good, the bad, and the gross. I'm having a hard time finding a website for her so I'll just put up this posting.  It has a video (because shes a performance artist).  To sum up her work, she drinks colored milk then makes herself vomit onto a canvas. The result is apparently really great art.  Hear me out, I'm not just going to say she sucks and not back it up.

1. Vomiting is fucking terrible for you.  Even if she does it on a completely empty stomach and the liquid is just colored water their would still be stomach acid mixed in.  However, since suffering for her art is not a reason to dislike the work I expand on this thought with point # 2

2.  If you are going to insist upon puking up your chosen media at least go all out and make that milk more interesting.  The resulting images look like colored water stains on a poorly prepped canvas. Note: The images I've found are not very good quality so the canvas' may look better than I think.  But, from what I have seen so far they look a bit rushed.  Anyway, why not try vomiting up a beautiful smoothie? Then the stain would have some weight to it. Add some glitter! Maybe add some dye to barium...get that beautius chalky finish. Or, take it easy on your tummy and sand the shit out of your canvas, make it smooooth as satin.

3.  She may be a lovely person, she may have some deeper meaning to why she started making art this way.  After all, she's not the first artist to use the body to make art (Yves Klein, Shigeko Kubota, plus tons more since).  But, since I can't find anything about her and why she does what she does I just can't buy into it.  It is one thing to paint a beach and not explain your work, this stuff needs some ground to stand on. If you're going to make a statement then make a statement.  Make me believe in it.

 So to sum it up, I don't hate her or her art.  But, I think it could be better and I think her body is going to hate her for sure. 

In the words of Tommy Wiseau "YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, MILLIE!"

-Roni!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Ronald. It could be better. There has been much better body art, that's the thing. If it is going to be a statement about body-image and bulimia, which is only my best guess...I guess... then you're right. Lose some teeth, some stomach lining. It could be prettier, it could be uglier. Right now it's just some "new thing".
    Oh well.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. when you made me watch that video yesterday during breakfast i thought it would be my most digusting moment for the day...but medicine can be a very bloody bitch...

    ReplyDelete