Friday, October 15, 2010

channeling Anna

Hung out with Anna and her boy Brian Wednesday night! went by too fast but i'm glad we fit it in.

Talking to her reminds me of why people (should) make art.  We think so similarly about this, it's no wonder we're friends.  Make art to be happy, because you want to, and if you make money in the end all the better.  And, please!, try not to introduce yourself as "an artist."  It sounds douchey. You paint. You photograph. You print. You sculpt.  You dont art.  This, of course is my opinion.  I for one, have only called myself an artist once.  This was to my boyfriend while trying to give myself an "applying for grad school" pep talk. It felt premature but worked for the moment :)

Yesterday, after painting for a few hours and finishing my second piece I was too nervous to start a new one immediately. SO, I channeled my inner Anna.  I flipped through an old sketch book and found silly drawings that I had forgotten about. They were ideas for my senior BFA show that didn't make the cut.  Now that I look back, i would've done better had I used them and not the ones I chose.  They were much simpler, cleaner, and streamlined.

Anyway, I made a few quick drawings to clear my mind.  Six 8x8 squares later, i had a collection that could only rival annas little drawings on her worst day.  But, that's why shes the best!

Roni!

No comments:

Post a Comment