Sunday, November 28, 2010

Modern Artists on Modern Art in Theory: A Complete Text

I've been thinking about writing about art. I've been reading about art. Reading artists writing about art. I've been re-reading Modern Artists on Art copyright 1964. Kandinsky has come to terms with his powers. Mondrian has defined everything that exists in the world. And Klee... Paul Klee says that "...while as a painter I feel that I have in my possession the means of moving others in the direction in which I myself am driven, I doubt whether I can give the same sure lead by the use of words alone."
Strangely, and to my delight, he then takes a full page to "write" a colour wheel. A colour wheel of words. Words. Dah.... er...
Brian has been loosing the line "...dancing about architecture" around me on many occasions as I prepare to send out statements about my work to schools.
To write out a colour wheel is the epitome of writing about art. Simple. So simple. Why didn't I think of it first???? Damn you Klee. And your genius. XOXO.
Anyway, I am going to type it out here, because I love it so much. So now, for you, a colour wheel:


What symbol is now suitable for pure color? In what unit can its properties best be expressed?

In the completed color circle, which is the form best suited for expressing the data necessary to define the relationship between the colors.

Its clear center, the divisibility of its circumference into six arcs, the picture of the three diameters drawn through these six intersections; in this way the outstanding points are shown in their place against the general backcloth of color-relationships.

These relationships are firstly diametrical and, just as there are three diameters, so are there three diametrical relations worthy of mention, namely Red Green Yellow Purple and Blue Orange (i.e. the principal complementary color-pairs).

Along the circumference the main of primary colors alternate with the most important mixed or secondary colors in such a manner that the mixed colors (three in number) lie between their primary components, i.e. green between yellow and blue, purple between red and blue, and orange between yellow and red.

The complementary color pairs connected by the diameters mutually destroy each other since their mixture along the diameter results in grey. That this is true for all three is shown by the fact that all three diameters possess a common point of intersection and of bisection, the grey center of the color circle.

Further, a triangle can be drawn through the points of the three primary colors, yellow, red, and blue. The corners of this triangle are the primary colors themselves and the sides between each represent the mixture of the two primary colors lying at their extremes. Thus the green side lies opposite the red corner, and the purple side opposite the yellow corner, and the orange side opposite the blue corner. There are now three primary and three main secondary colors or six main adjacent colors, or three color pairs.



If you had no concept of "red", this would be meaningless.

Conclusion: artists write for other artists.

Conclusion two: I write for Roni.

Love,
About 3,910,000 results

No comments:

Post a Comment