Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Iambic Pentameter

Sunday, my buddy gave me a book of his poems.  He had made copies for a few friends that would appreciate it, and I totally do.  However, on the inner cover there was a note that said  "Roni, (yada yada yada)  'I thought that you probably could care less about poetry and all this other crap.' (etc)."  This seriously made me laugh out loud for two reasons 1.  It was a hilarious and random personal greeting  and 2. I love poems and short stories and reading. Combine that with my sincere interest in knowing everything about everyone and a poetry book by a buddy is just the ticket.  Anyway, I really like it.

With that said, I thought it would be appropriate to post something that I've written that I don't think is awful. I took a creative writing course in college and it was really great.  This was my favorite piece from that class.  Just to be clear, I don't consider myself a writer by any stretch of the word. But, I do think this poem illustrates a good transition between image and word based representation.  Neither of these should be mutually exclusive but people tend to latch onto one type. ANYWAYYY...


A Portrait; Couples

I awake to a guttural sobbing.  It is barely audible but for the crack under the bedroom door.  But, it lingers above me, holding my lids apart.  Staying in bed becomes the more unstable option as it permeates my comforter safe house.

Assuming a position at the top of the stairway, my stomach flattened to the floorboards.  The sobbing is not alone.  It is coupled with a hush. A hush hush hush.  After each pulse of the hush, the sobbing seems increasingly satiated.  Wavering only in the skipping gasps; it is constant but not aggressive. And then the hush hush hush.

Earlier I had sensed a tension between them.   Encouraged by ignorance, wrongs were unleashed after “goodnights.”  Still, it is clear that they love each other. They are necessary.  Without the hush, the sob would get louder and frustrated.  Moans to cries.  Perhaps without the sob, the hush would not exist.  There is no one else the hush would rather comfort.  They breathe together now.  The sob has slowed to a whimper while the hush hum hum hums a kiss into hot skin. 

The whimper laughs.  It is barely audible but for my unobstructed ear.  The hum breathes a thankful sigh and falls silent. I retreat and find that my bed is still warm.
Dr. Sketchy's tonight. The model is a CONTORTIONIST! So so excited!

Roni!

No comments:

Post a Comment