Friday, May 06, 2011

Jar Jar

Hi! I'm leaving for Savannah and Kiawah Island tomorrow with the ladies of the family. It's going to be cute!

I turned in my piece for the Local Terrain show today. From the way I've been blah blah blahing about it for months you may have thought I was making it up.  Well, it's real and I barely finished my piece. In fact, I technically didn't because I cut out a few of the jars I had planned on including. But, there are still 17 and I think that's a good number. I'll put up pictures of the finished set after the opening on May 20th. Until then, I'll share two collages that made the cut. I ended up scanning a few of them for documentation purposes because in the final product they're basically illegible.  The collages are rolled up, put in jars and can only be viewed from the top (the jars are flipped upside down).  So, the glass distorts the imagery and makes it all mysterious. OoOOOoooooo.  The collages themselves are not that impressive, just simple line drawings with crosshatching from memory. But, I wanted them to feel kitchy, playful, and genuine. They're almost cartoony? Which is weird for me, because I can't actually "cartoon".  Regardless, I think that as a whole the amateur feeling of the collages aids my concept.  That's what I'm telling myself anyway :)

Aaaanyway here are the collages for two of my top ladies, Anna and JJ!

Left to Right: Patchwork bag & sewing machine, some of annas favey supplies (pour-on resin being the star), WILDCATS!, Bloggy, remember when a mouse bit you while you were sleeping in NYC?, my favorite surprise, ICE CREAM!, special delivery, how I remember our shared studio space, turtle face, favorite postcard 

Left to Right: Crafty, Cake Pops, paper rolls, pipe cleaner friends, Skype, b & w film, Peter the pink dinosaur, folk art paints, cupcake noms, pink hair dye!, camera adventures, ICE CREAM (this activity applies to everyone I've ever met), knit cap, gift tag, BOOM!!

So, there you have it. I made 15 more of these in varying sizes. Took forrreverrrr. Ideally they would've been really really dense but, frankly, I found it difficult to illustrate my relationships because so much of a relationship is intangible, you know? Yah, you know.

Time to pack! Or rather, throw a bunch of clothes in a bag and hope the pieces make outfits.

xo, Roni!

1 comment: