Monday, June 06, 2011

Namesake

My middle name is June. Roni June Callahan. It has been a family name for four generations beginning with my Great Gramma June in 1917.  My whole life, I was just Roni. But, to gramma I was always Roni-June...like it was my full first name.  My cousin Alexis Cas(sandra) should actually be the namesake. My aunt, Sally Jane, is older than my mom.  But, Gramma Sandy June decided she didn't like Sally with June so it was given to my mom three years later. Margaret June. I always found it endearing that she, and those who only saw me when I was around Gramma June, called me Roni-June.

Anyway, Gramma June was awesome. She was a force of a woman...really independent and creative. She swam in her pond every morning for exercise until she was in her 80's. Her M.O. for meal preparation was to walk outside, kill a chicken, pick some vegetables, and cook them...if you ask anyone in my family which Thanksgiving dinner was their favorite it will be the only one we spent at her house.  If I could have Gramma June's turkey every day I would've never even considered becoming a vegetarian. When asked if she was going to marry Charlie (her boyfriend of many years...and throughout most of my life) she said "No! I already washed a man's underwear for him once, I'm not doing that all over again."  So funny.  She went to China in the late 90's and survived on Snicker's bars because she thought the food was terrible.

I wish I had a better picture of her at my apartment.  I wish I had visited her more often. I don't know how I convinced myself that since she couldn't recognize me I shouldn't go. Who does that? Alzheimer's is a cruel and terrifying beast...

With Emmy at her school play.

Love you Grandma. I hope that I can one day be as strong, brave, creative, and awesome as you.  She was everything a woman's rights activist could ever hope to be. She could do anything...and had the humility to just live life, not preach it.   June 8, 1917- June 6, 2011.
 
-Roni-June 

       

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. She sounds like a great woman to me and a real grandma of yours.
    Best wishes
    Lars

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was indeed all that. A Force if ever there was one!! She very quietly influenced everyone. Wow - if we all could each have a portion of what she was.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written....heaven is a much better place with our Grandma June. Hugs to all!
    Tammi (Clark)Ferguson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a strong, determined, direct woman in you life like your Grandma. You will always learn from her and are lucky to know her. Anna's middle name, Llora, comes from a woman much like your grandma. Llora Birdie started Headstart in Akron way back in the day, shot all the pictures of her husband with a rifle when she found out he was cheating on her, learned to drive the model T when women weren't supposed to be driving, and had a dozen jars of freshly canned jam on the table by 6am. Llora was a strong, intelligent woman, and when I was picking out Anna's name, I wanted her to have that pedigree. Great women like your grandma and Llora are hard to come by nowadays...you are so lucky. Amy Buller

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. Amy: Sounds like Anna and I are both very lucky ladies. I look forward to living up to my name and I know Anna is well on her way to doing the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roni, my Grandfather just died and struggled with alzheimer's for the past 6? or so years as well and it is a terrifying beast. Great post kid!

    DW

    ReplyDelete