Friday, August 05, 2011

Question: What do all of these images have in common?

Simon Hennessy Pimlico Girl

Denis Peterson Vortex of Despair

Alyssa Monks "Smirk"
Diego Gravinese Poolside
Doug Bloodworth Oreo
Lee Price Lemon Meringue
 
Hilo Chen

Sharon Moody Hold it, Joker!


Answer:  They're all paintings.

Yep. I almost wrote about how looking at these amazing pieces makes me want to throw myself into traffic. But, I thought about it a little more and decided that I have other talents...like I dunno...making friendship bracelets.

Besides, the important thing is that seeing work like this, no matter how much it looks like a photo, makes you realize how sexy painting can be. These paintings would blow its photographic counterpart out of the water, no contest. Even with advances in technology and editing, a photograph never ever looks the way your eye sees it. A sunset is always better in person. With painting, however, you (well,  a select few) can make a photo realistic painting and push the boundaries of what is possible to catch on film (especially without post production)...things like enhanced depth, shadows, color, focus. These are the subtle differences that can convince even the most die hard photography enthusiast that painting, specifically photo realistic painting, is still relevant.

Okey, bed time!

-Roni!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning and insane...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem. Actually, my artistic friend, all of these images are photographs. These are photographs of paintings. Hmmmm, actually, now that I'm being a smart ass and thinking of it. They aren't really photographs anymore. They are digital images of photographs of paintings. And it's funny because I imagine all of these paintings were done by looking at photographs, and then making paintings, and then taking digital pictures of the paintings. I've confused myself.

    ReplyDelete