Sunday, September 11, 2011

Classy

It's really unlike me to get political. I admittedly don't pay enough attention to make an informed opinion. When it comes to 9/11 I find it really difficult to become involved emotionally no matter if I want to or not.  Don't get me wrong, I know what happened and how terrible it was.  But, as a person not in NYC I really think the tragedy has been exploited...or, i can't think of the right word, made into a spectacle?  I've been to NY many times since it happened and I really just wanted a place to explore and feel like I learned something but was met with construction fencing.  This want for some sort of place to connect left me really worried about the memorial...this could be amazing or a spectacle. A few years ago, an international design competition was held to find a perfect memorial. Most of them were too big, too showy...many were taller than the original towers.  It was too much.  There is a reason the Vietnam memorial is so spectacular.  These designs were throwing subtlety and respect right out the window. So, I stopped paying attention. Until today! Today, I went to the 9/11 memorial site to see the damage and was pleasantly surprised (that's an understatement) to see images of a gorgeous park.  No really, it's breathtaking. I could describe it in detail but I'll just make a few points and post some images. First things first. The footprints remain intact and are featured. This was an important detail that I think was absolutely necessary to impressing upon the viewer the gravity of the event. Most of the designs covered them up.  The waterfalls are genius. Not only are they lovely but the crashing water is a nod to those who saw it happen.  Last but not least, the entire site is LEED gold certified.  How do you like that? Bravo, NY!

Right now, there is still a lot of construction happening around the site but hopefully that will clear out soon so visitors can get the full experience.  I look forward to that.  Here are some of the architect renderings:




While your at it check out these videos by story corps of a few of the victims families. For me, these are what hit home, all the talk about patriotism and catching the bad guys doesn't really do it for me.  When you want to remember a loved one, you think about them...not how they died. Not a dry eye left in my apartment. Geeesh!

http://www.youtube.com/user/storycorps

-Roni!

No comments:

Post a Comment