Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Schutz, Schutz, Schutz

I was perusing the newest issue of Art Forum today during my lunch break and saw a review for Dana Schutz's upcoming exhibition, "If the Face Had Wheels," at the Neuberger Museum of Art.  I haven't thought about Dana Schutz since fall 2006 when I saw her exhibition at MOCA Cleveland.  She's actually a graduate of Cleveland Institue of Art (BFA, earned her MFA at Columbia). So, it's awesome that she is doing well. Anyway, her work.  Her work is...crazy? Delicious? Visceral? All of the above, I'll say. Her work explores the depths of her infinite imagination and censors nothing. You can tell she's trying to tell you something but then you get distracted by the literal big picture.  Despite the primitive painting style she packs so much detail and visual interest that I have to explore before I even attempt to decipher the meaning. The paint usage and thick brush strokes are delicious.  It's the only way to describe it. Whenever I see a painting like hers I wanna scoop all the paint off and plop it into a cone, or on top of a cake. Yummy. The subject matter, though generally disturbing, are presented in a way that feels more curious than serious. The interviewer in this MOCA review elaborates on that idea. Enough of me making no sense. Here are some images:   

Happy, 2004

Presentation, 2005

Sneeze, 2001

The Breeders, 2002

Ladders, ladders, ladders, I win!

Roni!

No comments:

Post a Comment