Tuesday, February 01, 2011

HDMS

First things first.

Anna: I think you have two options with this painting you don't like.  (I have tons I don't like of mine, so I feel your pain) 1. Paint over it and start over or 2. Finish it and then paint a second one, using the first as practice THEN paint over the first.
 
Honestly, it's probably better than you think it is.  You are still, hands down, the singe most naturally talented person I've ever met. I speak the truth, my friend.  As for these dumb galleries, Don Henley sums up my sentiments with a lyric in his solo song Dirty Laundry. "We all know that crap is king." Girl, ain't that the truth? Keep painting for you.  Change for no one!


Second things second.

Let's talk about photography. I'm pretty stoke to see what "fine art" photography is going to look like in 15 years. At work today, I was talking to Tim-bo about this while looking at some prints he bought from 20x200.  (Side note: Check this site out. I'm conflicted over it. I wish I had known about it earlier because it's great BUT I wish I had never seen it because now I'm gonna go broke.)  Basically, we decided that the current contemporary trends will last for a while.  Mostly because no matter how good technology gets, you can't fake talent. Some people just have the skills.  I should probably expand more on my thoughts but I honestly can't seem to form the right words. Soooo here are some of my favorites and some new (to me) that T-slice showed me today:

Amy Stein  




Coke Wisdom O'Neal.  Saw his work for the first time at Mixed Greens gallery in 2005. He was sharing the space with Leah Tinari. Needless to say it was a great day for me!
Matthew Moore Really beautiful work, understated attack of suburban sprawl. 




Jeremy Kohm. The dreamiest landscapes a girl could ever hope for. Major Swoon.



I could probably go on and on but I'll do us all a favor and stop at four artists.  Check the websites, people, you won't be disappointed!

Roni!

1 comment:

  1. if you ever decide that you want to build a giant box... i am in! because that looks sweeeeeeet!

    ReplyDelete